FAQ: Frequently asked questions
Do you have questions about our products? Want to find out more about our descaler products? Our FAQ offers answers to your most important questions. Please contact us directly if you are unable to find an answer to your question.
How does lime get into our tap water?
- Hard water is formed when rainwater seeps through calciferous rock strata and is enriched with calcium carbonate. This hard water enters our households as tap water. When it is heated or allowed to evaporate, limescale forms.
- You can use the internet to find out how hard the water is in your region.
What can I expect from a good descaler?
- The acidic components in the descaler dissolve the limescale. You can see the intensity of the reaction in the amount of bubbles generated.
- The effectiveness of a descaler largely depends on its acidic component. If used at the right dosage, an ideal descaler achieves a fast and complete descaling effect while providing maximum protection to the materials.
Why should I use durgol swiss espresso for my coffee machine rather than simply durgol universal?
- As a general descaler, durgol universal is suitable for any household appliance. You can use durgol universal for filter coffee machines (i.e. open systems) with no problems. For use in high quality, modern coffee machines (i.e. closed systems), we have developed durgol swiss espresso, which generates considerably less foam than durgol universal. The limescale is removed as the water runs through. It is important to limit the amount of foam generated in order not to cause excessive pressure in the narrow ducts and valves.
To what extent is durgol universal gentle on the environment?
- Thanks to its outstanding descaling capacities, durgol universal can be used very sparingly; i.e. at environmentally friendly quantities.
- durgol universal is environmentally friendly in its composition, too: the reaction of the acid with the limescale generates salts that neutralize the acid. In addition, residual acid in the wastewater helps to neutralize existing excessive alkaline solutions (from washing detergent).
What is the difference between durgol universal and durgol universal bio?
- durgol universal is characterized by its particularly rapid effect and powerful descaling performance.
- durgol universal bio also dissolves limescale reliably, but it is even gentler on the environment. Our durgol universal bio is biodegradable at a rate of >99.5% within 18 days making it the more environmentally friendly variety. This ecological added value is regularly tested and confirmed by the renowned SGS INSTITUT FRESENIUS. durgol universal bio dissolves limescale at a slightly lower rate than durgol universal. Most consumers will not notice a difference between the two products.
What is special about durgol universal bio?
- durgol universal bio reliably and gently removes limescale from any household appliance with a minimal environmental impact. durgol universal bio is >99.5% biodegradable within 18 days and meets the criteria of “ready biodegradability”, as per directive OECD 301E (verified by SGS INSTITUT FRESENIUS). In addition, durgol universal bio is free from unnecessary substances, such as perfumes, dyes and preservatives.
- The classification “readily biodegradable” is the highest grade of biodegradability. It is regularly tested and confirmed by the renowned SGS INSTITUT FRESENIUS. These regular checks ensure that durgol universal bio meets the strict test parameters continuously and permanently. More information is available here.
A powerful cleaning product that does not harm the environment? Is that possible?
- During the development of the product, we attached particular attention to achieving a fast and gentle, yet powerful descaling effect. Strict regulations made this task extremely difficult. But we succeeded. The result is a product that is as powerful as other descalers, while also in compliance with all required environmental criteria.
Why do I need to descale my coffee machine?
- Limescale inside the machine increases the brewing time and impedes the heat transfer, thus lowering the quality of your coffee.
- Over time, limescale accumulates inside the machine and eventually blocks it entirely. It also has a corrosive effect on the components of your coffee machine. These effects can damage the machine.
- Limescale increases the energy consumption of your coffee machine, which places a greater burden on the environment.
We recommend that you descale your coffee machine regularly and before excessive amounts of limescale can accumulate – ideally, every three months.
=> To ensure the highest quality of coffee and a long service life for your machine.
Can I use durgol universal to descale my steamer?
- No. Please use the special descaler durgol swiss steamer. Steamers have very specific descaling requirements that must be adhered to. The special formula of durgol swiss steamer prevents the generation of foam, which would otherwise damage your device.
Why do I need to descale my steamer?
- Limescale inside the appliance impedes the transfer of heat and increases the cooking time, which can have a negative impact on the quality of your cooked food.
- Over time, limescale accumulates inside the machine and may damaging the heating unit. It also has a corrosive effect on the components of your steamer. These effects can damage the machine.
- Limescale increases the energy consumption of your steamer, which places a greater burden on the environment.
We recommend that you descale your coffee machine regularly and before excessive amounts of limescale can accumulate
=> To ensure the highest quality of your food and a long service life for your steamer.
To what extent is durgol bathroom cleaner environmentally friendly?
- durgol bathroom cleaner is biodegradable (as per OECD 302B). Protection of the environment is a priority to us, and this includes the packaging we use. Our environmentally friendly bottle is made of PET. Replacement bottles are available that allow customers to reuse their spray head.
To what extent is durgol kitchen cleaner environmentally friendly?
- durgol kitchen cleaner is biodegradable (as per OECD 302B). Protection of the environment is a priority to us, and this includes the packaging we use. Our environmentally friendly bottle is made of PET. Replacement bottles are available that allow customers to reuse their spray head.
What is unique about durgol kitchen cleaner?
- Is it its ability to remove limescale and grease? This used to be impossible to achieve in the same process, as limescale is dissolved by acids and grease by alkaline solutions. But durgol kitchen cleaner can clean both at once. Thanks to an innovative combination of surfactants that are highly effective even in acidic environments, the powerful cleaning foam can take care of limescale and grease simultaneously.
How do I dispose of durgol products?
- Tip: pour used descaling solution or any leftover product into your toilet bowl and leave it there until you next use the toilet. This has the following advantage: acid residue can dissolve limescale and urine sediment in the toilet.
- All empty product bottles must be disposed of in domestic waste, even though all durgol bottles are similar to conventional PET beverage bottles. Unfortunately, manufacturers of products sold in PET containers but which are not intended for consumption are not eligible for membership of PET Recycling Switzerland. This means that the durgol bottles must be sorted out before the recycling process, even if they have been rinsed thoroughly.
To what extent is durgol universal environmentally friendly?
- Thanks to its outstanding descaling capacity, durgol universal can be used very sparingly; i.e. at environmentally friendly quantities.
- durgol universal is environmentally friendly in its composition, too: the reaction of the acid with the limescale generates salts that neutralize the acid. These salts do not harm the environment. In addition, residual acid in wastewater helps to neutralize existing excessive alkaline solutions (from washing detergent).
Why should I descale household items and appliances (such as kettles, coffee machines, etc.)?
Lime is important for us humans...
- Lime in general is not bad. In fact, it is even healthy for us humans, because it contains calcium that promotes bone formation, for instance. This is why hard water is good for the human body.
Unfortunately, it has the opposite effect on our household goods...
- Hard water leaves an unpleasant limescale residue when it evaporates or heats up.
- Limescale can impede the heat transfer capacity of appliances, thus increasing their energy consumption.
- Limescale promotes the growth of microorganisms, such as bacteria.
- Limescale can impede the functioning of appliances, such as kettles and coffee machines, and shorten their service life.
How can durgol increase the service life of household appliances?
- Limescale can impede the functioning of household appliances, such as kettles and coffee machines, and shorten their service life. Limescale in coffee machines can clog ducts, which considerably decreases the service life of the appliance. The service life of kettles can also suffer due to overheating and damage to the electrical components. durgol dissolves limescale gently and efficiently.
Why not simply descale using vinegar or citric acid?
- To descale your appliances gently, household remedies such as citric acid or vinegar should be avoided. They are less efficient and normally do not remove limescale completely.
- Products containing citric acid can form an insoluble sediment that ultimately leads to problems with the descaled appliances.
- Products containing vinegar dissolve softening agents contained in plastics, particularly seals, making them brittle. They also leave an unpleasant taste.